Friday, January 26, 2007

Burn's Night celebration:

Well we had a fabulous evening of feasting, singing, toasting & rhyme. We ate traditional haggis 'neeps & tatties (lamb, lamb's offal & spices boiled in sheep's intestine - although I think they just use plastic these days!) and rich fruit pudding & cream. Megan played auld lang syne etc on her flute, Beth sang 'My Love is like a red red rose' between episodes of laughter, I tried singing too which scarred the cats and as you can see above, Angus MacNidge came and did the traditional Selkirk toast in a pathetic accent that kept drifting into Irish! Then the lads toasted the lassies and the lassies toasted the lads. (Toasts were with a nice red wine rather than the traditional malt whiskey!) It was a really fun family evening. Beth loved it too, the expression below is just because she hates it when I point a camera at her, but I have to... she's just so gorgeous!

3 comments:

K said...

Wish we were there to join in. Sounds like a hoot. The kids were inspried about your Burns night, that they did a mini study about him, labelled a map of the British Isles and went through his poem, My Love is like a red, red rose, line by line figuring it out, talking about similes, metaphors, etc... Poor Aidan thought it was gross- too mushy. ha!

Amie said...

My Scottish friend Helen held a Burns night for us last year with Haggis and the ode the Haggis, oh my, I couldn't believe how long that poem was, we each read a verse and it went on so long our food was cold. Looks like you had fun!

artfulstampin said...

Hi Nigel, that looks great fun! Can you send me your email address, got a pic for you.. cheers